download. walk, listen.
Walkie Talkie Dream Garden is an interactive soundwalk being developed by sound artist and composer Dafna Naphtali, using U-GRUVE AR Audio Augmented-Reality platform by Richard Rodkin. The free app, available for Android and iOS mobile devices uses geo-tagged audio files, originally recorded on-site to create short electroacoustic compositions, that are played / altered by the physical (GPS) location of the participants listening over headphones. Meet the artist and creator of the walk, composer Dafna Naphtali, creative technologist Richard Rodkin (creator of U-GRUVE AR platform.) The app launched 9/15 in Brooklyn.
DOWNLOAD the free app starting 9/15/18.
LAUNCHES SEPTEMBER 15th. Even if you can’t join us for the event, the Walkie Talkie Dream Garden apps (iOS and Android) will be available for use on-site only in Williamsburg Brooklyn (NY, USA) and in the Wilhelmsburg neighborhood of Hamburg (Germany), the work focusing and commenting on uniques sounds of industrial and post-industrial-artist-occupied-gentrifying areas. The project is part of the two-year cultural exchange W-burg with funding from NYSCA, Brooklyn Arts Council, and the Hamburg Cultural Council, and launched in Hamburg June 9, 2018 and in Brooklyn September 15, 2018.
Also planned is full-length album to be released late 2018.
Full description and more information here.
1) DOWNLOAD the free Walkie Talkie Dream Garden app
2) TURN ON YOUR GPS (and fully charge your phone)
3) LISTEN TO THE WILLIAMSBURG WATERFRONT (North 15th/Quay street to North 7th, from Kent to the water, and into the river (walk, run or ride, even the ferry to hear the piece!). For an additional map click here.
Note: Free downloads for Wilhelmsburg/Germany started June 9, 2018 and will be updated soon.
Tips for iOS app:
- Make sure Location Services is turned on and that you have a decent signal.
- Disable Screen Lock (set it to “Never”)
- Make sure the app’s “Cellular” option is turned on (in Settings)
- Make sure the ringer switch is not set to vibrate, or you won’t be able to hear anything
(for iOS, for Android this may depend on your phone)
- After starting the app, it may take from five to ten minutes to establish a reliable connection with the GPS satellite, so give yourself some time.
- It is best to download the app while connected to WiFi. And if possible, it’s also a good idea to start and initialize the app while on WiFi as well. It’s not mandatory, just works faster. East River State Park has free WiFi.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged, and consider bringing a portable charger
- The app will display where the various zones are, and you will be able to see your position as a blue circle, similar to what you see in standard map apps.
- If a screen becomes stuck or non-responsive, close the app completely and restart
U-GRUVE, by creative technologist Richard Rodkin, enables the creation of interactive soundtracks for public spaces using listener/participants phones and GPS sensors to trigger geo-tagged musical outcomes to predefined zones in the targeted environment. http://u-gruve.com/
Funding for Walkie Talkie Dream Garden comes from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and is sponsored, in part, by the Greater New York Arts Development Fund of the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, administered by Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC), and the Hamburg Cultural Council.