download, walk, listen.
Walkie Talkie Dream Garden is an interactive soundwalk developed by sound artist and composer Dafna Naphtali using the U-GRUVE AR Audio Augmented-Reality platform by Richard Rodkin. The free app, available for Android and iOS mobile devices, uses geo-tagged audio files and electroacoustic compositions created with recordings made on-site. The audio is played / altered by the physical (GPS) location of the participants listening over headphones. Launched in Brooklyn 9/15 and Hamburg, Germany in June.
DOWNLOAD the free app:
• iOS/Apple (via iTunes app store)
• Android (via Google Play store)
LAUNCHED SEPTEMBER 15th, available indefinitely (!)
Even if you couldn’t join us for the opening event, the Walkie Talkie Dream Garden apps (iOS and Android) is available for use on-site only in Williamsburg Brooklyn (NY, USA) and in the Wilhelmsburg neighborhood of Hamburg (Germany), the work focusing/commenting on unique sounds of industrial and post-industrial-artist-occupied-gentrifying areas. The project’s origin was as part of the two-year cultural exchange W-burg and received funding from New York State Council on the Arts, Brooklyn Arts Council, and the Hamburg Cultural Council. Send feedback or “like” us on FB to hear about future events, or go on the walk anytime!
1) DOWNLOAD the free Walkie Talkie Dream Garden app
2) TURN ON YOUR GPS (and fully charge your phone)
3) LISTEN TO THE WILLIAMSBURG WATERFRONT (North 15th/Quay street to North 7th, from Kent to the water, and into the river (walk, run or ride, even the ferry to hear the piece!).
Note: Free downloads also available for Wilhelmsburg/Germany (launched June 9, 2018 and will be updated soon.)
A full-length album to be released in 2019. Full description of the project and more information here.
Tips for iOS app:
- Make sure Location Services is turned on and that you have a decent signal.
- Disable Screen Lock (set it to “Never”)
- Make sure the app’s “Cellular” option is turned on (in Settings)
- Make sure the ringer switch is not set to vibrate, or you won’t be able to hear anything
(for iOS, for Android this may depend on your phone)
- After starting the app, it may take from five to ten minutes to establish a reliable connection with the GPS satellite, so give yourself some time.
- It is best to download the app while connected to WiFi. And if possible, it’s also a good idea to start and initialize the app while on WiFi as well. It’s not mandatory, just works faster. East River State Park has free WiFi.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged, and consider bringing a portable charger
- The app will display where the various zones are, and you will be able to see your position as a blue circle, similar to what you see in standard map apps.
- If a screen becomes stuck or non-responsive, close the app completely and restart
U-GRUVE, by creative technologist Richard Rodkin, enables the creation of interactive soundtracks for public spaces using listener/participants phones and GPS sensors to trigger geo-tagged musical outcomes to predefined zones in the targeted environment. http://u-gruve.com/
Funding for Walkie Talkie Dream Garden comes from New York State Council on the Arts with the support of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo and the New York State Legislature, and is sponsored, in part, by the Greater New York Arts Development Fund of the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs, administered by Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC), with additional support from the Hamburg Cultural Council, and is a Harvestworks Sponsored Project.